Friday, December 31, 2010

This Is It – We Meet


Departing Uganda was one of the most difficult things I've had to do. The last words I could say to the last person I hugged as I boarded a bus in Nyakasharu heading for Kampala was, "We meet." I can't wait until the day arrives when I am able to visit all of my Ugandan family and friends.

I departed Uganda with a proper send-off... a surprise farewell party! Ugandans certainly do know how to party!!! The end of my stay was also filled with SEVERAL visits to peoples' nearby homes and villages. I wish I would have taken greater effort to record those experiences to share here with others. But the memories are strong and will always stay with me.

My Ugandan friends continue to ask me via email, texts, and Facebook "When are you coming back?" I wish I had a definitive answer, and I wish it could be "Tomorrow!" But the reality is, it will still be at least a couple of years.

I wish all of my Ugandan family & friends the best (and I promise to try to do a better job of staying in touch with you!!!).

Ogumeho. [Stay safe.]

No comments:

Post a Comment