Friday, December 31, 2010

Laughter & Tears In International Airports

ENTEBBE, KAMPALA. Entering through security to go check in for my flight… I was stopped and questioned about the contents of one of my duffel bags and my carry-on. No problem...

SECURITY OFFICER: [Searching through carry-on] “What’s this, a computer battery?”
NICOLE: “Yes.”
SECURITY OFFICER: [Holding up a ziplock bag w/ contents in plain sight] “And THESE? What are THESE?”
NICOLE: “Tampons.”
SECURITY OFFICER: [Confused look on the face] “What?”
NICOLE: “Tampons.”
SECURITY OFFICER: [Confused look on the face continues]
NICOLE: “Female hygiene products?”
SECURITY OFFICER: [Still looking a little confused] “Okay.”
SECURITY OFFICER: [Handing over paperwork to be signed due to searching contents of bag] “So you’re leaving us?”
NICOLE: “Yep. Sorry.”
SECURITY OFFICER: [Smiling] “But why don’t you stay longer?”
NICOLE: [With laughter] “You’re government won’t let me stay longer right now. I’ve already stayed longer.”
SECURITY OFFICER: “But you’ll come back?”
NICOLE: “Yes, I’m hoping to come back and at least visit.”
SECURITY OFFICER: “When are you coming back?”
NICOLE: “I’m not sure yet, but I hope soon. Thank you…”

SERIOUSLY?!? Did someone from Nyakasharu PAY him to ask me to stay or ask when I’m coming back?!? The 2 questions EVERYONE kept asking me in Nyakasharu: "But why don't you stay longer?" & "So when are you coming back?"

And then there was the interrogation at Amsterdam… Security is really tight there right now. Each passenger or family was questioned by a security agent before getting their carry-on screened one more time (the carry-on being re-screened was nothing new… but the questioning seemed excessive, as there were many officers questioning at the same time). My security officer seemed to ask the right questions (unfortunate for me). My friend, Grace, had given me a present that I promised not to open until I reached home in America. I just put it in my checked baggage thinking with x-ray technology it would be fine & if security had opened it before I reached home, then no problem. But I forgot about needing to know ALL of the contents of your checked baggage. When he asked me if I had received any gifts from people in Africa, I said “yes.” And when he asked if I had received anything that was still wrapped, that I didn’t know what was inside I said, “yes.” [Oops. Big mistake.] He then asked me questions about who gave it to me, how long I knew them… And when I replied, he then asked me when my friend Ben’s birthday was (Ben is Grace's husband...and he is the CEO of the Ugandan NGO I volunteered with). I said, “I don’t know, but I know he’s 41.” He snapped back with laughter, “You don’t even know when you’re friends birthday is?!?” I was SO upset from all of the questioning and feeling like a criminal, plus all I could think of was that “Africans don’t really celebrate their birthdays and many don’t even know when theirs is,” so exhausted, I just broke into tears. He saw how upset I was and changed his demeanor. Explaining how it was just a precaution. I said, “Yes, but I’ve been traveling for a very long time, I’m tired, and I just want to go home.” He told me they were just going to check my checked baggage, it wouldn’t delay the flight or anything and told me I could continue thru and have a seat. He would bring me my passport in a couple of minutes. I said, “I’m not going ANYWHERE without my passport! I’m staying here until you’re finished with it and have returned it to me.” Wow, what a learning point for me. I kept telling myself over and over, “Duh, Nicole.” But his Dutch accent speaking English was really annoying and he was somewhat of a jerk until I broke into tears and then yelled at him for suggesting I move on without my passport in hand. After I returned home, I told the story to my sister. She then recalled how there was a security incident recently in Amsterdam involving someone traveling from Africa. She said she never thought about it, otherwise she would have warned me. So warning to any of your family & friends traveling through Amsterdam TO or FROM Africa (especially FROM): Expect tight security.

No comments:

Post a Comment