Thursday, December 30, 2010

Dance With Me

Bugutu. Potential. Ability. Single & Searching. Bread & Butter. Bogola Ko.

Somehow I became known for having a passion to dance.

Maybe it’s because while making my way home from the COVOID office I’d dance my way past the electronics shop that blared music in front of my compound.


Or maybe because at COVOID’s end-of-year party at The Cave I danced the night away until midnight (they had to pull the plug on the music that night).

There was dancing New Year’s Eve at Mugogo Resort with Bitwa, Justus, Agaba, and some random drunk guy. The community-wide Christmas Day celebration at The Cave, where I danced with Orikikiria Scovia, Tusiime Scovia, and a few women who seemed quite amazed that a muzungu would be so outgoing.

One afternoon while walking along a road I saw the old man who played fiddle for the local traditional dancers…PERFECT opportunity to show off my interpretation of Bunyaruguru’s traditional dancing!


How about the 4-hour impromptu dance party at Robert’s? Or dancing with Macklene’s family and their neighbor kids?

A few “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” moments at Hayley’s, enjoying her awesome music collection… Watch out! She does a mean “Robot.” (We even managed to sneak in some dance moments with our neighbors’ teenage housegirls, Brenda and Juliet… we’re such bad influences.)

And, of course, a few random dance moments at the COVOID office (especially when I heard my song: Bugutu). Don’t worry, we really did get some work done! (Somehow.) I like to think of it as “Office Morale.”
I guess I do like to dance. Especially with fun music and willing company.

Am I any good? Umm… I’m going to have to go with a “NO” on that one. (I just think of the saying, “Dance like no one is watching.”)

Do YOU wanna dance with me? Come on over. The music’s already playing!

No comments:

Post a Comment