Monday, March 15, 2010

You Just Might Find Heaven Here


Bazurizi Vicint. The man I now respect as my older brother. One day we were having a conversation in the COVOID library about our own personal lives and life in the United States vs. life in Uganda. Bazurizi told of his dream to someday step foot in America. Specifically, New York City.

Bazurizi said, “For me, I think if I shall step foot in New York City I will go to heaven.”

“Go to heaven?” I replied.

“Yes, go to heaven,” he said. “For if I step foot in New York City, I will have fulfilled my dream and I can then die and go to heaven.”

I tried to explained that New York City may not be everything that he dreams it may be. And that Uganda was quite an amazing place, itself. Bazurizi looked as though he were in deep thought for a brief moment, then looked at me and said, “You just might find heaven HERE.”

You just might find heaven here. I couldn’t agree more. Southwest Uganda has a BEAUTIFUL landscape. Carved out by once active volcanoes. Filled with several crater lakes. Blanketed with green crops of matooke, avocado, maize, jack fruit, passion fruit, cassava, millet, coffee, tea… And the people. The people are polite among their fellow Ugandans and very hospitable to foreign guests. Soft-spoken and laid back. Seldom in a rush or too busy to greet another human being.

It’s easy to fall in love with Uganda and think you’re in some part of heaven on earth. And it’s easy to forget that many people refer to Uganda as a 2nd or 3rd world country. Especially when you embrace the idea that less is more.Be careful watching too many news programs from the “developed world” that harp on the dangers, turmoil, and suffering in Africa (though there is a certain reality in such reporting). You may miss out on some of God’s most splendid creation.

You just might find heaven where you least expect to find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment